Saturday, January 21, 2012

Basic Ruffle Skirt Part 1

Last week i looked at the fabric i had brought with me when we moved and out of my small selection these 2 caught my eye one is just white cotton and the other is this stretchy thin kind of fabric i got that i don't know the name of. Anyways first thing that come to my head is that i haven't made Hailey a skirt in awhile and this was the perfect time and this skirt couldn't be simpler to make!

I know your thinking...a white skirt is she crazy? but believe me if i knew the name of the thin white material...it washes SO well!

So i took her measurements around her waist and then measured the length that i wanted adding on an inch or two for hemming and for the waistband.Next i sewed my hem and made a casing for the elastic


For the ruffle i cute the thin stretchy material 30 inches by 4 1/2 inches

Folded it together and sewed down the long end using a basting stitch after which i gathered it till it was the length of the skirt

Once i gathered it i pinned it on the the main skirt piece and just sewed it down starting at the bottom of the skirt and working my way up.

Then you just repeat making ruffles

Until you have all this amazing ruffle-ness! Next i just measured the elastic i would need which was 19" long for my daughter and fed it through the casing i made and sewed down the ends. Next i just put the skirt right sides together and sewed the ends to finish it off.

I think she's thinking...."can we just get this picture over with already?"

How cute. I know they make "pre" ruffled fabric now, and you could make this skirt in minutes with it, but nothing beats handmade ruffles!


Be sure to stick around there is a part 2 to this skirt that I'm working on and its going to be awesome!



Have a great weekend!

25 comments :

  1. I'm excited to have found your blog and am looking forward to reading some of your ideas for kids! I'm a new follower, feel free to follow back!
    www.nodoubtlearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Your daughter loves it! I showed my daughter - and she loves it. I now know what my next sewing project will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's adorable and the ruffles just suit her- it might be her "look"! :)


    Visiting from DIY Home Sweet Home linky party and thanks for sharing :D
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is super cute! So is your daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is so cute!! If I had girls I think I would be making stuff all the time!

    I just wanted to let you know I am finally stopping by from the Share Your blog posts meme. I didn't get thru all the posts this weekend. :) Hope you have a great week!

    Heather From and Mommy Only Has 2 Hands!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I wish I had girls! I doubt my son would want to wear this but it's so stinkin' cute! Please come link up at my place on Wednesday. I LOVE this skirt and would like to feature it!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.comm
    PS Besides, you could win a $5 Starbucks card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute, I wonder how I would look in one, ugh, not good. But your little one is so cute in it. Love to sew, and it shows so do you. Thanks for sharing you creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super cute skirt!
    Shiloh
    everydaygameplan.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super cute! I can't believe you made all those ruffles yourself! Congrats! I have a "ruffler" foot to my sewing machine, but I haven't figured out how to make singular little ruffles for a skirt like this! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. those ruffles are fabulous!! wow. She was made to wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Great job with the ruffles!

    If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this skirt SO MUCH!!! I'd LOVE to have you link up at Overflowing with Creativity #6 My party just started!!!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter will love this!! She loves anything that twirls when she does! Great job! and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see part too. Nothing beats little girls in ruffles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So Cute! I cannot wait to read the part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is absolutely adorable!! I really need to learn how to sew ASAP!! Thank you so much for joining the blog hop...following you via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hailey is adorable! I love how the skirt looks and look forward to seeing skirt #2!
    ~Tonia @TheGunnySack

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is so fun my nieces would love this I hope you'll link this up at my What We Wore and Made Party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for linking up!! I'm your newest follower! Just a reminder to register for my giveaway...

    Ramsign Giveaway: Porcelain Enamel Sign {up to $99 value}

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  20. How pretty! I love ruffles! I made a ruffle skirt similar to this for my little girl this week:)
    Visiting form Flaunt it Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so adorable I want one for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...